For non-sportsmen/women like me, the “Indian Ocean Island Games” it’s :
– a regular tournament, except you can find other sportsmen “from the area”
– a funny mascot and song
– a husband who spent every other weekend for training for 6 months and who had badminton dreams in the night
For sportsmen/women like David, it is :
– one year (and a half) of personal involvement under stress, without knowing if you get selected into the team or not (until one month before the games)
– sports gears to represent Reunion island (“look, look how beautiful my shoes are !!”)
– same as the Olympic Games but in the Indian Ocean (“you don’t get it, the island games are just like the olympic games !”)
This year, the 9th Indian Ocean Island Games take place in Reunion. Well, let’s say that it is like the olympic games between the islands : Mauritius, Madagascar, Comores, Mayotte, Maldives, Seychelles and Reunion. 14 sports are scheduled around the island.
I got lucky and could watch the opening ceremony :
The empty places were for the sportsmen. After the parade, the stadium was almost full. I didn’t take many pictures of the night show, but it was nice. Actually, after all, maybe it is a bit like the Olympic Games… just a bit.